Wednesday, July 21, 2010

തിരക്കഥകള്‍ വായിക്കുമ്പോള്‍ - Reading screenplays


Read more at Passion For Cinema

Hit any book stall in kerala and browse through the latest releases, I'm sure most of them will be related to movies and many of them will screenplays. I'm pretty sure that a common man will not buy a screenplay and read. I remember buying movie soundtracks in early 90's (movie track of Oru CBI diary kurippu was a revelation at that time). But screenplays, come on, it is way different. How are these screenplay books helping a reader or a film student or a film lover?

For any aspiring film maker/student, reading screenplays is a part of their curriculum. Remember the good old days which compelled us to watch the serial
Mahabharat reading along with a translation of the screenplay which use to come in Sunday supplement of regional newspapers (In Kerala this was published by Mathrubhumi). May be it was one of those days which made us visualize on which all ways a screenplay can be transformed into the screen. In fact, that was the first screenplay I ever read!


Read more at Passion For Cinema


-----------------------------------------------------------

1 comment:

കുട്ടന്‍സ്‌ | S.i.j.i.t.h said...

Maashe,

I had couple of oscar winning screenplays (pdfs softcopy) which I got some 8-9 years back. Need to check if that disc is still readable .. :). I remember that contains Pulp fiction, Beautifulmind, 6th Sense, godfather, psycho etc..
Script as a book in Malayalam, I loved reading MT's Sadhayam.
Calicut Cosmos bookstall used to have good collection of scripts those times. Me and my friend sandeep used to go there and read many cinema related books (without paying) until they found us :)